Wednesday 13 April 2011

More Electronic Sources: Everyday Exile

Okay, so I hit the jackpot.  After following a blog trail, one of the comments on a Overlooking Tibet post was from a Non-Profit in Mcleod Ganj.  Everyday Exile was founded in 2010 and is platform that allows Tibetans in exile anywhere in the world to share their personal stories, in words and in images, with an online readership.  Could I possibly find a more perfect blog to stumble upon?  My whole project is about collecting these stories!

Everyday Exile was founded by Tammy, who came to Mcleod Ganj in 2009 volunteering as an English conversation teacher, helping to plan events to broaden awareness of the Tibetan situation.  The person stories moved her deeply, and upon returning to the US she was surprised by how many people were clueless about the Tibetan situation.  I have not yet been able to gather if she is still in Mcleod Ganj, but I cannot think of a better contact in the field for the field study project I am doing.

I am a little unclear if the blog is where this process is taking place, or if the blog simply works as a companion to the cause.  The great thing about these electronic sources is that I can ask!  So far, there are two parts to Everday Exile I have tapped into.  The main blog, which provides news updates and local happenings, and a Photojournalism blog.  Being both a creative writer and a photographer, I could not be more excited.  The photographs really do have a way of telling a story, and it is my hope to take similar pictures as a companion to the creative project I am developing.

I cannot wait to connect with this organization.  Suddenly accessing the community and tapping into these stories does not feel near as daunting as it did a week ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment