Wednesday 5 October 2011

Back in the Game

Me?  Why no, I'm not overwhelmed at all.

I've been really good at letting India take a backseat to all of the rest of the madness going on in my life right now.  Taking classes while trying to tackle course work while simultaneously making meaning of an experience like India is not the easiest load to juggle, but what do you do?  Deadlines are approaching, and I know I will feel a world better once I start.

Starting is the important thing.  After meeting with my faculty mentor, Dr. Burton, I've realized that I need to get my travel essays done a lot earlier than I anticipated.  If I am to publish an eBook, I need to leave myself a lot of room to find an audience, learn formatting, find outlets for my work, and just figure out the logistics of it all.

The cool thing is that this is much more than a honors thesis.  The hard thing is that this is much more than an honors thesis.  But it is going to be so much more rewarding knowing that I am establishing my writing presence on the internet.  This, right along with my novel writing class, has gotten me very excited about learning the ropes of self publishing.

So here is a brief to-do list:
  • Email Professor Bennion two solid drafts and my coursework
  • Start drafting more travel essays so that I am ahead of schedule
  • Figure out if I am going to try for an ORCA grant
  • Decide what final outcome, other than my eBook, I would like to have to show what I have learned through my experiences with emerging media.
  • Get my personal writing group together to start talking about these topics
  • Balance coursework with my current classes
  • Keep this blog updated!


Photo credit to comerecommended.com

1 comment:

  1. Deadlines are approaching, and I know I will feel a world better once I start.

    Amen to that. Starting's always been the hardest part for me, but I usually feel okay after that. Sounds like you've got a lot more to "start" than I do right now, though--I hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete