Saturday 22 January 2011

January 19, 2011: Learning Journal 1

Wow, our workshop in the facilitator prep class yesterday was really useful for me.  Each of us looked at the different aspects of our project to make sure all of the pieces fit together, and surprise surprise, I have some work to do.  I now have a better idea of how to be grounded and to trim my project accordingly.  Let me just show you what my initial question was, and then what it turned into...

First, I'll like to say that before I went to class my question was even more different.  My beginning project idea was to look at how both Indians and Tibetans retain their religious identity in a tourist community.  I still like that idea, but I guess it just did not spark.

Initial Question for Class: What role do stories play in preserving cultural identity in Dharamsala, India?

By the end of class I came up with this new project question: "What populations and stories make up the current identity of McLeod Ganj, India?"

It needs some work, but it is more where I want to be.  I will be continuing the method that I used in Ghana using different avatars to explore the nature of experience and the authenticity of our narratives abroad.  How does this method fit my  new topic?  Well, I think that while I am gathering stories and putting together a creative writing project that gives this sort of conglomerate portrait of this unique location, I need to show the selection process that goes along with that.  Yes, stories are incredibly important, but I still believe, especially since my work in Ghana, that we need to raise skepticism about how they are produced, and recognize them for what they really are.  Limited, subjective interpretations of our fragile memories and experiences.

So that brings us to today!  I guess my apprehensions at this point come from not knowing what I will be doing day to day, or what collecting stories looks like.  Ashley said that I lose my focus and grounding when I start exploring the literature culture in the location, and I totally agree, but I was reassured this does not mean I cannot attend a poetry reading.  Haha, still.  After all this reading of different populations in India with their oral traditions I have a peeked curiosity. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a fun project. There are so many ways to tell stories. It would be interesting to see all the possible ways and have some way to compile them. By your research you will also be able to preserve the history and stories of the people that you are covering.

    ReplyDelete