Thursday 4 August 2011

Goodbye McLeod Ganj


It’s over.

My bag is stuffed to the brim, my stomach feels like the inside of an out of balance washing machine, and I am something between thrilled, depressed, excited, stressed, anxious, and completely ready to board my train for Delhi tomorrow.

I thought I would write a few of the lessons I have learned—lessons that are a bit beyond learning how to flush a squatter with a bucket or how to rattle off a few Indian and Tibetan greetings.  It will take a bit more time than that though.  This experience was many things, but at the end of the day, I am happy I came, and I am grateful for the time I had.  It is an entirely different category than Ghana.  Mahinder, our massage teacher, says that coming to India makes you grow up about five years.  I’m not sure about that exact number, but it really does change you.  

I am behind on updating this blog, but I thought I would just stop in and say thank you for all the support while I was in the field.  I will have much more posts coming, but for now I will be traveling to Agra, Varanasi, Paris, Rome, and Florence.  I’ll be back in Utah August 23rd.

(I know, right?  This is my life right now!)

4 comments:

  1. I think we all had about the same emotions swirling through us that morning.

    I hope you have safe travels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it strange that we can have such conflicting emotions at one time? Or how we can feel excited to leave and then guilty for being excited? India has changed all of us, and I'm sure it's for the better. But if we take who we are out of the picture (remember our first reading for the prep class, Why Students Study Abroad) and just look at what we learned, or focus on WHY we changed, then we can really examine our relationships with India. I'm thrilled we had this experience. Safe travels :)

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman, please pick up a pebble for me somewhere in Paris?
    Just one little pebble. 0=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete