Saturday 30 July 2011

Glimpse.org and Other Places to Publish Stories

My friend, Maggie, sent me a link to Glimpse.org awhile ago when I was trying to discover places to find other travel writers and ways to publish my stories.  Unfortunately I did not discover it and apply in time to apply and get accepted and funded for it (and really too bad, it is right up my ally), but it is still a great place to read about other travel stories and view their photography.  I'm still going to read others posts and comment in order to hopefully do some more connecting.

Also, remember Matador.com?  It is a similar site I have commented on and joined already.  Well, I found that they have a pretty awesome blog that I am now following.  I like it because it has a lot of other links for places where I can submit stories, etc. to try and get my writing out there.  I just read one post called "30 Skills for Writers" that I particularly enjoyed, especially as I am trying to do some drafting of my initial travel essays. Some of my favorite points were to be an active observer, be aware of how you look at a place, constructing scenes, and creating multi-level dialogues and descriptions. 


If you are also interested in travel writing, you should check it out. 


1 comment:

  1. HA, this is starting to get funny, so many coincidences. Glimpse and Matador are both great, as they encourage new writers to submit. In fact, these were my debuts--http://matadornetwork.com/author/emily-strasser/ and http://glimpse.org/author/emily-strasser/ I was actually a correspondent for glimpse during my time in India two years ago, but they've pared down there site and taken some of my stuff off. You should definitely submit some of your pieces to one of them!

    ReplyDelete