Sunday 3 July 2011

Honors Prospectus is IN!!!

I am happy to say that thanks to a bunch of great people back in Provo my honors thesis prospectus is now at the honors office awaiting approval.  Here was the latest discussion on it with my mentors.  Now just to figure out my eBook (the next thing I need to work out) and the more traditional format for both my Digital Civilization class and my final thesis:

Professor Bennion:
It is passed so far as I'm concerned.  I put the form in Dr. Dean's box.  I don't know about the filing of an ebook as a final project according to what Honors expects, but Debbie probably would.
Professor Burton:
Rachel:
I agree with Dr. Bennion that this is good to go. Thanks for your patience and persistence in nailing this down. This is still a bit risky as a hybrid project -- but I think you are up to it. I like the way you blend anthropological sources and methods with creative writing and digital media, and your work to date on the blog is on target.
In the end, though, you will need to produce, for academic purposes, a recognizable academic product. This is why I recommend that you make the format of your thesis comply with standard expectations, and leave the making of an eBook as the outcome for the digital culture class you are taking from me. It would, I think, not be productive to try to get Honors to allow an eBook to be an appropriate thesis format at this time (too few use or understand it, and you've already seen how long the academic approval process can be...).

I will write separately regarding my assessment of your blogging and reaching learning outcomes for the digital culture course.

Dr. Burton

(Debbie, if you need my signature we will have to arrange something, as I am away from BYU out of state until July 27th. I don't want to hold up Rachel's progress.)

Professor Bennion:
As I may have mentioned, I worked with James Goldberg, whose master's thesis was three blogs.  He had to write a separate document that could be printed and filed for his "Official" thesis.  this was a kind of analysis of what he did, including many extracts from the blog.  He and I thought about the blog work as being like jazz, where the themes are worked and reworked, but not exactly redrafted as a piece of writing is redrafted.  I would work with you two (Rachel and gideon in any way you want, but I agree with Gideon that it's difficult to transition from a web-based document to something that can be approved in a thesis.

1 comment: