Saturday 9 July 2011

Connecting: Writers Network

In an effort to do more social discovery and connecting based on Dr. Burton's last email, I did a bit of research and found an awesome free network for creative writers online!  It is called Writers-Network, and my profile is here if you are interested. 

Since I just signed up I cannot give a full report, but what I really like is that there are many members and you are able to post writing based on how much you comment on others writing- ensuring that there are discussions going on instead of just writing out in space.  You can create your own profiles, categorize your work so that they can be easily searched, join other writers fan page and follow their stream, etc.

For an experiment I posted a pretty rough draft of a poem I wrote while I was in Ghana last year.  I cleaned it up a bit, renamed it "Roads,"  and posted it on Writers-Network, just to get a general response and test to see what this site can offer.

It seems like it is going to be a great opportunity to connect with other creative writers and to receive some quality feedback on my writing.  If you are interested in creative writing (and I know there are a few of you out there that would enjoy this site), you should join!  Really!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a useful website. I like writing, but I have a hard time reading other people's writing. So either that means the site wouldn't be the best for me or I need to start reading more of other's writing. Probably the latter... I don't know why it's so hard for me to want to read what others have written, but it's definitely a struggle for me. Anyone have any advice on how to overcome that? I suppose I'm making a start by reading both yours and Kristen's blogs today, but I honestly don't know if I could say that I would if it weren't a requirement for field study's class. Nothing against you or Kristen, and in the end I'm glad I read your posts. It's just hard for me to WANT to read, whether that be blogs, books, or whatever. So how do you fix that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt, sounds like you have quite the predicament. My best advice for you is to find blogs that you actually want to read. With your interests, you probably can find many from filmers and documentary makers that would interest you. I think the best way to get into a blog is to find someone that helps you with your own interests. Have you done any blog fishing outside of the field study pool? I think that would help you out a lot.

    ReplyDelete