Thursday 28 July 2011

Connecting: In the Field!

The internet is a great way to find people to connect with that you otherwise would not have, but I have also been able to connect with a few other people that I otherwise would not have had I not been in India!  Sometimes that immediate human interaction is just what the doctor ordered.

So here are a few of my new writer friends:

David is an emerging Bollywood actor from Singapore.  He is a former Black Hawk flier and is currently traveling around India with our mutual friend.  I was delighted to find that he is a photographer as well as a writer, and his blog can be found here.  He is looking for critical feedback if anyone is interested in reading some of his writing.  I enjoy his imagery and just the fact that he is able to write about places like Mumbai (Bombay) in a way that I can see and smell it since I unfortunately will not be able to get there in this trip.

Emily is a former student of Megan's host family who happened to stumble back into McLeod, and she was sort of absorbed into our group immediately.  We enjoyed hanging out and getting to know her on our mid-semester retreat and learning more about her experiences here.  She just left yesterday for some more traveling around India.  Emily is recently graduated and from Atlanta, and she has really interesting blog documenting her travels.  Talking to her a few days ago about publishing drafts/final copies of my essays made me realize that it is something I might want to think about in terms of publishing.  If I am going for my own eBook though, maybe I don't have to worry about it.  Either way I have decided to hold of posting my latest essay draft until I decide. 

Lobsang Wangyal was a random find (upstairs from the yoga studio, helping him edit a recent article).  He is Tibetan but he was born in India.  He is a journalist and editor for the news website, Tibet Sun, as well as the founder of the controversial,  annual Miss Tibet show.  He is quite a celebrity around McLeod Ganj in his vivid colored suits, and he can even be found on Wikipedia!  His reports are slanted towards the Tibetan cause, but it is still informative to read about recent issues in the Tibetan situation for those in exile.  There also writes about current world events.  While he has some colorful views on America (particularly on our visa system), he is always an interesting person to talk to. 

Anyways, just a few writers I've stumbled across that I thought were worth mentioning.  I really enjoy finding people out here who share some of my same interests, especially when I can read about their similar experiences through their unique perspectives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment