Tuesday 17 May 2011

Rethinking Consume, Create, and Connect

I am starting to at least think about getting more settled in here in Mcleod Ganj, India, and as part of that I need to think more seriously about my course contracts.  I think by outlining it here I can work out my thoughts and feel less overwhelmed in general.

Course contracts are independent classes that field study students set up with faculty at BYU that work to get students credit within their major but also enhance their experience in the field as well.  Ideally, they are supposed to compliment the projects they have developed.  As part of my ten credits, I am taking a 3 credit Digital Culture class with Dr. Burton, my faculty mentor.  We still have yet to flesh out what it is I need to be doing entirely, but it is based on three aims that I have outlined in my blog intent. Consume.  Create.  Connect.

After an email response from Dr. Burton I realized that I needed to get a little bit more of an understanding of these points.  I have since revised my blog intent to include a few things.  Create is more than just creating the way I have already done in Ghana.  I also need to increase my online presence, figure out how to create things so that they are available to others, and find collaborators.  It should go hand in hand with "connect," which is where I need the most growth.  While this will be the most difficult, it will be the most rewarding if I can stretch beyond my mere one person undergraduate experience and share what I am learning with people who can actually benefit from it.  These three aims need to be just as present as my avatars.  

Something else I will be doing for my Digital Culture class is following the Digital Culture Blog and connecting with students who are currently in the classroom back in Provo.  

So yes, keep an eye out for that.  Also, I had one friend email me to mention that she does not comment on my blog because it is a class assignment and was not sure I wanted my professors to see.  I want EVERYONE to know that this is a place where both the personal and academic sphere are coming into one blog.  As part of connect I would love nothing more than to hear from you.   


No comments:

Post a Comment