Tuesday 22 February 2011

Echoes from Dharamsala: by Keila Diehl

I am beginning to give up on ever finding a direct quote from the Dalai Lama on telling stories.  Emily said that she heard it a lot from their personal accounts, so maybe I can just site her experience?  I have been looking for hours to no avail!  It is kind of frustrating...However, through the search process I have found yet another interesting article for my bibliography.

Echoes from Dharamsala was another source recommended to me by Emily.  This is about an ethnographer who is looking particularly at music in this refugee settlement, and she lists several reasons for doing so.  The thing that struck me the most was how beautiful her writing was.  I really loved her style!  She says that he writes with a "personal-professional nature" (xxiii), and that having the two voices change is advantageous fro what he is doing.  It reminded me of my own project and the concept of layers within a single travelers voice that adds that level of authenticity.

There is a lot to be learned from this book, and it is one I would like to read all the way through.  Another thing I enjoyed was hearing her reluctance for studying at Dharamsala instead of one of the many other settlements.  Like her, I too was reluctant when I first heard that Dharamsala was a touristy place.  I am kind of a village girl- preferably one that is not on Google maps.  Yet, she is just engulfed with the place, which is something I anticipate as well. 

This source will be good to explore for the narrative quality and for the creative components  she looks as.  She also seems to dive into preserving cultural identity, which will be something I encounter as well.

We also get pictures in this one!  So refreshing! It's nice to look around and see I am not alone.

Diehl, Keila.  Echoes from Dharamsala: Music in the Life of a Tibetan Refugee Community: Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002.  Print.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,

    Thanks for your kind words about my book - I just ran across your blog by chance. By the way, I am a SHE, not a HE!

    Cheers,
    Keila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah! That is mortifying. Sorry about that! I'll fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete