Wednesday 2 February 2011

February 2, 2011: Learning Journal 3

Let's see.  What happened this week....

Well, my talk with Melissa was incredibly informational for a number of reasons.  The logistics of field facilitating in Dharamsala, India, of course, was something I had been longing to hear about, but there were other concerns that came up- things that I really was not thinking about until I talked with her.

I guess I knew that Dharamsala would be a world different than my experience in Ghana, but I did not realize how different.  Almost nothing will be similar, and I need to expect that.  I am a person who has a lot of lofty expectations for myself and my life, and because I had such an awesome experience in Ghana I am worried that I will be disappointed if I expect to find the same thing in McLeod.  Of course, I know that this will also be a wonderful adventure and learning opportunity, but I have to go in with no expectations so that I find it.  It is apples and oranges.  In many ways, I think that going on a previous field study to a different location could be harder than if I was just stepping off the plane for my first trip like the others in my group.  Knowing myself, if I brace myself for the differences I will be okay.  I am not so much worried about using the deficit theory (looking for what one culture lacks in perspective to my own) with my American paradigm, but with my alumni field study paradigm from Ghana.  Isn't this interesting!?  I did not anticipate this, but I know if I do this right I will have another life changing field study in India.

As far as other concerns, I know that my avatar method and story gathering will go hand in hand, but I am struggling to find the words to defend it.  It is like I am looking at the process of story telling within myself but also with others, and analyzing the editing process.  I just do not want to make it look like I am hating on storytelling.  Rather, I want to expose the nature of the beast so that we do not take every account as a solid fact.  It is more fluid than that, and I hope that I can find stories that demonstrate this overlap process.

Another important change based on this weeks research was looking at the population of McLeod.  Based on my interview with Melissa, I discovered that in order to do a project that looks at the diversity in Dharamsala, I cannot limit myself to McLeod where only Tibetans live in order to preserve their cultural identity.  She said that most outsiders have come to the location just for tourism, but there were some rural farmers on the outskirts that were probably the indigenous to that region who would be an interesting population to talk to, although she never did.  I am glad that there is some diversity to play with here, but at the same time I am still struggling to find an academic source that talks about it.  Maybe it is one of those things that I really will just have to wait until I get there.

On a not so academic note, I do not know what to do about travel when it is all said and done.  I was going to go to Paris with other members from my group, but I still want to travel around south India.  I don't want to do it by myself!  Decisions decisions. Any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, uh, I don't know when you are leaving, but I will be in Hyderabad from May 11-Aug 2, that may be too early for you, but if you are in the area, I sort of know the city already and would be happy to show you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I just read the rest of your blog, which I should have done first, haha.
    Never mind. I would probably just drive you crazy anyhow. Enjoy north India and Europe.
    Just be aware that I have lived in both North and South India and South Indian food is literally ten times better than north Indian. I don't know if you will ever have time to get down to South India in your future travels, but I would highly recommend it. You have not lived until you have had chicken biryani in Hyderabad. Seriously one of the best things I have ever eaten. Also, Agra, Delhi, and Amritsar are only a tiny fraction of the cool things to see in India even though they get all the press for some reason.

    ReplyDelete