Wednesday 23 February 2011

February 23, 2011: Learning Journal 6

Has it really been another week already?

I guess so.  I think as far as preparing for my project goes, my favorite part was watching Seven Years in Tibet.  Since I had heard it was pretty Hollywood-ish, I was not prepared for much, but I was happily surprised.  I learned a few things about Tibet and Tibetans that I was not familiar with before.  One thing that stuck out was that they clap to warn off an evil presence, and stick their tongue out as a more favorable greeting.  I do not quite remember, but I think I once read that it is a way of showing respecting, but in the movie it seemed like a way of saying hello.  Something to look more into.

From the movie I also was introduced to butter tea.  Gay Lag, or TJ La my Tibetan teacher, told us that this is a very common drink.  I have talked to my roommate and she is down with us trying to make it so that I can try to get used to it.  I liked the end of the movie where the cup of tea is left for the person waiting to return.  I too hope I get a white scarf.  :)

But back on the subject of tea, there was something in our class discussion last week that made me realize that this is going to be a tricky subject.  Being a Latter-day Saint, we are not supposed to drink tea, but I know that there are different kinds of tea that are kosher.  I've never had tea around, so I have no idea what those are, or if I like any tea at all, but this will be a sticky situation in Dharamsala.  When talking about ethics, Jay asked us to think about what we will do when offered tea.  My immediate response was that I would say it is against my religion.  However, Breanne was in the class, and she let us know that it needs to be a personal responsibility thing because several students in the past have had the tea, so that excuse will not work.  I jokingly thought about saying that I was allergic (but I had better watch out, because I just found out that I really am allergic to fish, where I used to apply this excuse universally).  That probably will not fly either though.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that I just need to figure out what kind of tea is kosher and try to get used to it before I go.  Luckily I have awesome roommates who will support me in that.  However, I do run the risk of coming off rude or demanding, but if I approach it right I think it would be better than outright refusing it.  With people I am intimate with, like my host family, I will explain the situation, but for just doing down the street I have to have some idea of what I am going to do.  It reminds me of the book Three Cups of Tea.  Granted that is in Pakistan, but the whole idea behind it is that the first cup, you are a stranger, the second a friend, and by the third you are considered family.  No, it is not the exact same culture, but it is clearly more than just a cup of tea.

Methods practice 2 was also a good lesson for me.  It was helpful to see what it is going to take in order to pull of a more creative project.  It is something I am excited for, but it will be tricky to pull of the balance I need between personal experience and objectivity in what I do not understand.

As far as other reading, I am excited about the new sources I found.  Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama I think will be a particularly fun and useful read.  It is something I want to put into my course contract this summer.  Hopeful a directed readings with Professor Aaron Eastley.  I am still on a mad search for a source that sites the Dalai Lama encouraging Tibetans to share their story with the world as Emily suggested.  I guess I will try again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment