Wednesday 2 February 2011

Metaphor, Poetry, Storytelling and Cross-Cultural Leadership by Thomas Grisham

After doing a methods mapping in class last week (basically drawing our our projects and making sure we had literature to support each component) I discovered that I need a source about the population of Dharamsala, India.  Unfortunately, the Harold B Library does not seem to be the best source for finding information on it.  At the end of this post I have a few titles to articles and books I could potentially look up to get more information on that particular concern, but I will have to look to outside sources since there are no reference numbers on them or full texts available.

 

On my search, however I found another potential article called Metaphor, Poetry, Storytelling and Cross-Cultural Leadership.   It looks specifically at the Dalai Lama, but I am curious to dive into the particulars to see how people might view stories and literature in the community I am going to, especially if His Holiness is so in favor of it.  This article talks about the theory and benefits of poetry, storytelling, and metaphor when applied to cross-cultural leadership.  It brings up examples and connections based on experience, and looks specifically at how these tools can be utilized by a leader to have good leadership skills and inspire people.  It also says that there has been little published on the connection between effective leadership and the use of poetry and metaphor, which could be useful for me.  While I do not plan to look specifically at leadership, I am sure there are similarities among the common population. 

 

A good land, unfortunately I still lack information on the population.  Maybe I will have to check Google Scholar or something.

 

 Grisham, Thomas.  "Metaphor, Poetry, Storytelling and Cross-Cultural Leadership."  Management Decision 44.4 (2006): 486-503.  Print. 


Other titles of sources I could look more into:

Tibetans in exile, 1959-1969: a report on ten years of rehabilitation in India: Compiled by the Office of H. H. Dalai Lama, Dharamsala

Dharamsala: a guide to little Lhasa in India by the Central Tibetan Administration in Exile (India)

Dharamsala Diaries: Swati Chopra

The Theoretical Basis of the Tibetan Epic, with Reference to a ‘Chronological Order’ of the Various Episodes in the Gesar epic by Samten G, Karmay (this tells me that they do have some kind of prominent oral tradition of storytelling and that it is not only unique to India)


No comments:

Post a Comment