Tuesday 22 February 2011

Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama

Emily Bell suggested I read Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama to find out more about what the Dalai Lama says about stories.  After a pretty intense skim, I was unable to find a direct quote on the importance of telling stories, but I think in many ways it is implied, and here are some of my observations.

The Dalai Lama opens by saying that he is writing this book in English despite his limitations with the language.  I think this also reflects the importance of an English education that the children are getting as refugees in India, which says something about writing in a way so that you can communicate to the world at large.  I ran into this argument a lot last year when I was looking at post-colonial writers in Africa

We also get a glimpse of his love for stories as a child.  It was always something he looked forward to, and he had quite a vivid imagination (28).

Also, we have this story in general to take into account.  His Holiness says that he wrote it so that people would understand why the Dalai Lama is an "ocean of wisdom" and educate people about the history with Tibet (1).

Something else I am excited to look more into are the little details that the Dalai Lama writes about his life.  Bits of his personality, his childhood, and the personal narrative of his exile.  There are also some great pictures included in my version, which always makes the photographer part of me smile. 

This is definitely something I want to get more into.  However, I am still looking for a single quote or some kind of evidence for the Dalai Lama encouraging people to tell stories.  I know it is out there somewhere!

Gyatso, Tenzin.  Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama: New York: Harper Perennial, 1991.  Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment