Wednesday 9 February 2011

Narrative Inquiry: Experience and Story in Qualitative Reseach by Clandinin and Connelly

I am more and more intrigued by how much is out there on storytelling in academia.  There are a lot of ways to approach stories, and this book was highly cited as one of the most useful to help me better understand narrative inquiry.

This book takes the approach of storytelling as a qualitative research method.  Commentaries on this book are along the lines of it being clarity when there were so many theoretical gaps before.  It seems to be really fluid and gives a lot of examples, which helps me a lot.  This book looks at the journey of these two scholars,D. Jean Clandinin and F. Michael Connelly, who have studied narrative inquiry for the past two decades.  They look at how narrative deepens our understanding of an educational experience.  These encounters then seem to be a model for intellectual courage within the individual.

This could be really useful for a few reasons, but one of those being that it has a whole chapter dedicated to Clifford Geertz and his theories.  Since Geertz is one of my main sources for my project, this is right down that alley.  It also has a whole section dedicated to encountering stories in the field that I can benefit from.

For me, I am still not so sure if this is directly applicable to what I will be doing collecting stories in Dharamsala, India.  Yet, I am glad that there is some literature out there that can support my academic claims when it comes time to do the IRB application and apply for scholarships.  I am overwhelmed by how much is out there on why we tell stories. Now it is just about finding the right sources... I think that this one would be very useful if I look specifically at Tibetans and why they tell stories, but as far as fitting it into the rest of the population there, I am not so sure the cookie cutter fits.

Clandinin, Jean.D, and Michael F. Connelly.  Narrative Inquiry: Experience and Story in Qualitative Research.  San Francisco:  Jossey-Bass, 2004.  Print.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like such a valuable source! In class today I'm bringing a sample of another potentially valuable book for you to look at: Method Meets Art: Arts-based Research Practice by Patricia Leavy.

    ReplyDelete