Wednesday 9 February 2011

February 9, 2011: Learning Journal 4

The focus of my research of the week was to look at the story aspect of my project.  Why do we tell stories?  How can I find literature that will support my desire to collect them?

I found a lot of interesting and scattered information.  I found that there is such a thing as narrative inquiry, which is slightly different than narrative theory, and many people are using it in the field of education and psychology as a quantitative research method.  If I were still going down the route of why Tibetans specifically tell stories, I think this would be an appropriate route.  However, I think I still need to be more broad.  I liked what Margaret Atwood said about language and stories being fundamentally human, and it is what makes us so unique.  It goes right down the lines of what Emily Bell was talking about in her project proposal while preparing for Dharamsala.

One of the biggest concerns I am facing right now with my literature is just finding the correct searches.  Even when I plug in four or five of the most appropriate keywords, I am getting thousands of options pop up!  I just want to make sure I am getting the most credible sources.  I think next time I am going to take a look at Emily's bibliography again.

Another theme of this week was the possibility of meeting H.H. the Dalai Lama.  After watching the documentary 10 Questions for the Dalai Lama I could not help but ask Ashley if it would be at all possible for me to at least attempt it.  I got a green light.  From this documentary, I also learned more about the importance of asking great questions and the danger of making broad sweeping accusations such as smile=happy.  That was one of the most distracting things about the film.

As far as questions and interviewing goes, my second informal interview practice was really helpful and successful.  Of course, to really get a good story and to have all the elements that I would like to have when I write stories about the people of Dharamsala, I would have to meet more than once, but it is a good start!  So I am happy about that.  The readings and activities that we did in class all last week and this week have been helpful to refresh on those tricks to getting a good interview.

Last, I am little concerned about some of the problems going down in Dharamsala right now.  I got a facebook message the other night from Melissa, the previous field facilitator for this location, and it was not good news.  The Karmapa, one of the most important leaders for Tibetans (sometimes even believed to be the next person to replace the Dalai Lama when he passes away), has been accused of being a Chinese spy.  They found over a million dollars in cash, many of it Chinese currency, stashed away in his monastery.  2,000 Tibetans gathered around this week to show their support for him, but this could have serious implications with the Indian relations.  I hope that it simmers down and proves to be false, but this could prove to be something that has a big impact on our experience studying there.   

1 comment:

  1. Rach! is it okay if i call you rach? anyhoo, your project sounds so cool... and very fitting for a community, that i guess, has a lot of oral history. I don't know if i could help with the sources thing but i have a book i read last semester for my language and culture class that talked about people telling stories. let me know if you want to look at it!

    ps. i hope things calm down too!

    ReplyDelete