Tuesday 8 March 2011

Hamlet: By William Shakespeare

I never would have guessed that Hamlet would be something I would throw into my sources, but lo and behold I found a great quote that could be a great argument, or at least a hook for a literature review in my project proposal.  It currently sits in my IRB second draft, but I know they do not like the cute-y stuff, so we'll see if it there for the final draft. 

This quote comes in during the final scene where Hamlet is on the verge of death.  Horatio is really upset and threatens to take his own life when Hamlet says:


"If thou didst ever hold me in thy heart,
Absent thee from felicity awhile,
And in this harsh world draw thy breath in pain
To tell my story"

I guess it really just got me that this was one of his top concerns when he was on his death bed.  It had nothing to do with his unfinished business or messages to people (if there were any people he knew left by the end), but I think Hamlet knew the importance of stories.  This took me on a great stream of thought.  Why do we love stories so much as children?  Why did Jesus preach in parables?  Why are the gospels written by four different people on the same topic, but yet reveal very different perspectives?  There is some value to this.  Some method to the madness if you will.

Isn't it great!?  Hamlet always seems to have an answer to everything.

Shakespeare, William.  Hamlet.  New York: Bantam Books, 1980.  Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment