Tuesday 1 March 2011

Tales of a Dalai Lama and Tales of Uncle Tompa

I found a few different sources I want to look more into that are off the beaten trail.  Still looking for more evidence that the Dalai Lama encourages incoming refugees to tell their stories to the world, I came across two interesting books.  Tales of a Dalai Lama and Tales of Uncle Tompa.  Both are fictional, but could give me some great insights about the use of story in a Tibetan setting.

The first, Tales of a Dalai Lama is pretty didactic and is packed with cautionary tales.  It is supposed to be more religious and philosophical in nature, and in the beginning the author admits to not knowing much about Tibetan Buddhism.  This book also references some other religious texts like it to look into, like Mulla Nasrudin, the jataka tales, rabbinical midrashim etc.  Until now I did not even know that these existed.  This could make for some great reading before and during my field experience.  I am sure there is a lot to learn.

The Tales of Uncle Tompa, however, are supposed to be really funny.  It is less focused on the spiritual and more on a unique Tibetan humor.  All things regarding my project put aside, I think that humor is one of the hardest things to grasp when doing cross cultural interaction.  Reading this book could really get me a head start on that.

Apparently Uncle Tompa is a humorous collection of folktales about a rogue who is somehow spiritual despite being a little rough.  It is supposed to capitulate the everyday lives of Tibetans, which intrigues me more than many of the other sources I have come across.  Plus, it has pictures!  Can you really beat that?

Again, some more sources I want to look more into not just for their value in a literature review, but just for entertainment sake and better understanding the population I will be living with in just two short months time!

Delattre, Pierre.  Tales of a Dalai Lama:  Standpoint:  Lost Horse Press, 1999.  Print.

Dorje, Rinjing.  Tales of Uncle Tompa:  New York:  Barrytown Limited, 1997.  Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment