Wednesday 23 March 2011

Life in Exile in Dharamsala: by Shiho Fukada and Ed Wrong

Thanks to my friend, Jay, I found one of the coolest sources yet!  It is called the Life in Exile in Dharamsala, and it is a blog put together by a guy named Ed Wrong (text) and a photojournalist, Shiho Fukada, from the New York Times.

I find this source very refreshing.  I often feel like the photographic component of my project is left in the dust while I am always scrambling to find sources on writing or information about the location I am going to.  Here I get images.  Good pictures.  The kinds of images that I might be able to experience and also photograph (if I am lucky). 

For example, I can tell that this photographer did not use any artificial lighting.  It is all natural, which is what I use to photograph.  I guess it is nice to see that you can get good images even if you are not taking in the best and fanciest equipment in to the field.  I always knew that, but it is nice to have it validated. 

I am also noticing that a lot of the images are with people and places on the street (which turned out awesome!), but there are several with the Dalai Lama.  More than several.  I wonder how he was able to gain access to the point where he could photograph him.  That is the best part though-since it is a blog, I can ask!  It is immediate, and I have a good chance of having a discussion with him where I might not have otherwise. 

This source was encouraging.  I struggled a lot with photography when I was in Ghana last summer, but I based on the lessons I learned the hard way there I was hoping to do a better job of it in Dharamsala this summer. 

Dukada, Shiho.  "Life in Exile in Dharmsala" Photoshelter. 11 Mar. 2010. Web. 23 Mar. 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment