Tuesday 21 June 2011

Connecting: For REALS

Connecting is one of the main aims that I am supposed to work on with this blog.  Of course I saw value in it, for professional networking, meeting others with similar interests, and just tapping into sources that I otherwise wouldn't have discovered without making the effort, but here is one thing I did not anticipate.

Real connecting on a personal level.

Last week I got this message from my grandma, who I am starting to realize might be my number one fan:
I had to give a talk in Relief Society on Sunday on Grandmothering.  I talked a lot about my wonderful grandchildren, and, and I bragged a lot about you being in India, and having all those wonderful encounters.  I JUST HAD to read them your "Snot and Stories" blog.  They're still laughing.  Hope you don't mind.  One lady came up to me afterward and said that you really have a talent for expressing yourself. I agreed completely with her.  We are loving reading your blog, and hope that the rest of the time you spend in India will be wonderful and fruitful for you.  We love you very much.  Hang in there -- the time left will just zoom by.
That wasn't the only comment I received either since sending links in my weekly emails home.  My Okasan (stepmom) told me that she has shared some of my posts with people at her work, and one of her employees, an aspiring writer, after reading my blog was all inspired to change her work schedule around so that she can use the morning for writing.

It is hard to imagine having that kind of an impact on anyone or anything really, especially when my official blog followers are slim and my comments, though increasing in frequency, are not where I probably need to be for my project.  But from the sounds of it I have a lot more blog followers than I realize. 

I guess this was just an important lesson for me.  I can use to writing to connect not just with people with similar interests, but with those who already know me- people I always hoped would understood me a little bit better.  I tend to be pretty shy and socially awkward, background noise in big groups and family parties, but for the first time in my life I feel like my writing can really help me to bridge those gaps and show that I really do care.  Really do have thoughts.  Really do feel.

This lesson really hit home.  Literally.

(Photo/Drawing credit goes to Perspective Press Inc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment