Wednesday 22 June 2011

Skj Traveler: Connecting

Since connecting is a large part of the project that I am doing here in India and with this blog, imagine how excited I was to find a surprise friend invite on facebook.  Instead of desperately hunting down interesting travel writers and photographers, Skj Traveler spotted me first!

After browsing this facebook page I soon discovered that it is Shara Johnson/Simon's facebook page is for sharing some of her travel writing and photography.  On her website she has several publications listed (most of which are available to read full text, or at least an excerpt), and several great citations as well.

What I most enjoyed about Shara's website was what she wrote in her bio.  She says that she "does not wish to confuse the reader into wondering what really did or didn't happen" because she comes "from a rigorous nonfiction school of thought that if it didn't happen [she does] not write that it did.  She also notes that "a common problem in nonfiction writing is knowing how much to trust the author," and that when she does not have enough to write a full story she drops it instead of fudging her way through it.

I guess I really relate to this, and it is refreshing to see that someone right off the back is coming out and saying, hey, this is a limited medium.  It reminds me a lot of what I was doing in Ghana with the authenticity of travel documentation and some of my conclusions I drew.

In addition to photography and a Trazzler site, she also has a blog embedded into her website with current writings.  While she does not have a place for others to post comments, she does post very frequently and has a very fun, unique writing style.  You should check it out when you get a chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment