Thursday 9 June 2011

Working on Connecting


Connecting with people is one of the main aims of this blog, and that goes a step beyond just pushing the “publish” button on blogger.  In order to do that, I’ve followed a bit of advice from Derrick Clements.  He wrote a post on just the thing that Professor Burton directed me to.

Blog comments- In order to do more connecting, Derrick would make sure to give feedback to others blogs.  If I do not get out and support other bloggers/writers, chances are no one is going to stumble into my own vacuum and make a comment.  I’m now devoting two hours a week to doing this kind of connecting.

Facebook- I now update my facebook page with various links to my blog.  It needs to be more consistent, and I should probably post some links on others pages who might be more interested, but so far this has brought in a lot of readers that would not have otherwise stopped by my blog.

Email Group- I thought this was one of the best ideas Derrick shared.  I did weekly emails while I was in Ghana last year and had a lot of people comment down the road that they were interesting and enjoyable to read.  I have felt very little connection to people back home now that I have switched to blogging as my main form of updating the people back home.  I’ve now started weekly emails home that have links to some of my blog posts so that I still keep people in the loop and give them a direction of where my experiences are being documented.

Private Facebook Groups- Okay, so I had no idea where to start, but I found a facebook group for travel writers called “Travel Writers Exchange.”  I have no idea if I am a welcome member, but it is supposed to be an online community for “travel writers, bloggers, and journalists.”  I have posted a link to one of my earlier entries and will be exploring other links on the site to hopefully gather some more contacts.  This was way out of my normal publishing habits, but I think it could be really beneficial.

Along with this I have been in contact with Tammy, founder of an NGO called "Everyday Exile."  I found this organization through a google search and learned that their goal is to create awareness about the Tibetan situation with the world through stories and photography.  Tammy will be in McLeod in the middle of this month and I am hoping to get in touch with her.

Derrick also said something about “other’s re-posting” which I did not quite get, but I’m going to try these first options and see where it takes me.  But for now, I think this is a great start to really get outside of my own bubble and connecting to a larger audience in a more meaningful way.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment