Friday 24 June 2011

Honors Prospectus Thoughts

I feel like my honors thesis prospectus is currently at a stand still, but here is the last my faculty mentors and I have talked about it.

My honors mentor, Professor Bennion, said:

I think this is almost ready to submit. I've marked a few places where it needs to be clarified slightly.  I think Dr. Burton articulates clearly (as you do in this prospectus) the value of the blog.  You are lucky to have such a devoted mentor, one who has thought extensively about the effects of stories and of the new media.  I'm happy for this experience of working together.  When you revise this, send it to the two of us and Debbie Dean.  Maybe I'll try to print out the signature page and sign it, so that when the prospectus comes, she'll have my signature (I leave this Sunday for England).  Good luck.  You are a clear writer, very quick to see the implications of your wonderful project.

I made the revisions, and am now just waiting for the green light.

Professor Burton, my field study mentor and honors thesis referee, said:

Thanks for this. I saw John's comments and I'm glad you are developing things so well. I have to run right now and can't read your latest draft until a bit later, but I wanted to get word to you quickly about something. My current course has just finished, and we completed an eBook as a group project. You and I spoke about producing an eBook as a potential outcome for all of your work, and that's what I'd like to begin more specific conversation with you about. I think this would solve many of the concerns I had before. I've seen the way that my students used their blogs in a complementary way with the eBook, and I think it's a great combo. Anyway, I think this might be a very good model for you and we could discuss how the prospect of producing an eBook could shape your project, your thesis, etc. Whether it needs to reshape your proposal is another matter, as I think we need to quit revising and just get the thing approved. But those are my thoughts for now.

You can check out our eBook here: http://bit.ly/eBook295

Now that my Spring course is over I'll be able to respond to you and the other students in India with greater frequency, and I'm eager to do so as things are starting to develop for each of you.
I really like this eBook format.  I have yet to really dive into the book that Professor Burton mentions, but I will soon be doing a review on Goodreads.  I'm waiting to hear from the honors coordinators whether this format is okay for my project.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment